Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Dogs and children



As the owner of bulldogs I am adamant about not allowing my dogs to become a statistic. It is my responsibility to watch out for the well being of my child and my dogs.
I am, after all their master and they rely on me for more than food. I am their pack leader and they look to me for guidance. This is why I will touch on the Instinct and Normal Behavior of dogs.
Dogs and children should NEVER be allowed together unattended EVER! Not even a split second! No matter the age, breed or size of the dog or age of the child. 
Dogs are animals with animal instincts and in the end will be held accountable whether their fault or not.
By following this simple rule you are saving not only your child or dog from potential injury but your dog from being taken if the child is bitten and yourself from legal litigation.
Wild canines have been around for millions of years but have only lived with us a few thousand of those years.
Dog behavior is often guided by instinct. Whether he is burying a bone, playing fetch, guarding his territory, or turning circles to prepare for his afternoon nap, these actions are derived from basic instincts. Instincts can vary from dog to dog. Of all the instincts, a dog’s pack instincts are probably the most influential. Pack instincts dictates how dogs interact with other dogs and with people. They see humans and the animals that they live with as part of their pack, and they look to see what rank each member is. This guides much of their behavior.
Let me very clear that your training effort may curb instinct (such as marking) but will not be effective on a genetic trait.
Genetics has been capitalized on in the breeding world.
This is how it works, you find a quality (i.e.: color, shape, size, health, or even behavior) and you breed a line of dog with the same qualities that will be ingrained in your dog and no amount of training will correct what is "in their blood" that is why it is so VERY important to know what your dog was bred for, what kind of dogs it came from and to make sure the breed fits your family and life style needs.










No comments:

Post a Comment